Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Total light envelops you, it becomes you.

In psych tests on deep space, I ran a number of sensory deprivation trials, tested in total darkness, on flotation tanks - and the point about darkness is, you float in it. You and the darkness are distinct from each other because darkness is an absence of something, it’s a vacuum. But total light envelops you. It becomes you. It’s very strange. I recommend it.
-Sunshine (2007)
I mean this in the most pure and existential and we-are-all-one, infinite, way possible.

And so begins my newfound obsession with space and mysteries and galaxies and light and the sun and I cannot wait to finally buy myself Cosmos by Carl Sagan because it's been on my reading list forever but now it's relevant. I've always been interested in space, as a child I would star gaze and look for planets with my dad, and then study the pages in the back of the dictionary about our solar system. Goodness, we live in such a big place.. I want to embrace everything in the universe and be a part of it and just hug everyone. This is something similar to what I felt reading the last book of the Golden Compass/His Dark Materials trilogy... This oneness. With nature and all people and everything.

Yesterday I finally watched the film "Sunshine," directed by Danny Boyle (28 Days Later, Slumdog Millionaire, 127 Hours...) and starring Cillian Murphy (Scarecrow in Batman Begins) and also featuring Rose Byrne (I always remember her in Bridesmaids) and Chris Evans (Capt. America)... Surprisingly, I didn't look any of that up to write this. I'm simply blown away by this movie. I found it utterly entrancing and beautiful in ways that are hard to put to words. The cinematography was breathtaking. And the combination of the other-wordly images with the amazing music (John Murphy) was truly a masterpiece. I highly recommend this movie to everyone, because even with the few weaknesses in the storyline (I actually don't mind them, but a lot of reviews did), I think the film still absolutely succeeded. I actually found it to be a bit of a spiritual experience.

For the record, Sunshine is about a team of astronauts sent to reignite the dying sun.

Here are some of the absolutely stunning scenes from the film...
No spoilers: (for better quality of this scene go here I couldn't embed it)

Some spoilers:

Amazing clips with spoilers that cannot be embedded: one | two


So here I am, sinking into both the Sunshine soundtrack (your heart will burst) and some Angels and Airwaves, because they've always been out there in a sort of cosmic way. And this song, A Little's Enough, illustrates a lot of what I'm feeling right now. Because I do have a lot of bad days, everyone does. But a little love is enough. And the instrumental part at the beginning tugs at my soul. Goodness, sometimes I just feel so whole. So a part of everything else. And it's truly limitless.

"A Little's Enough"

When all is said and done 
Will we still feel pain inside? 
Will the scars go away with night? 
Try to smile for the morning light
It's like the best dream to have 
Where every thing is not so bad 
Every tear is so alone 
Like God himself is coming home to say 


I, I can do anything 

If you want me here 

And I can fix any thing 

If you let me near 
Where are those secrets now
That you're too scared to tell 
I'd whisper them all aloud 
So you can hear yourself 



Green trees were the first sign 

The deepest blue, the clearest sky

The silence came with the brightest eyes 

And turned water into wine 
The children ran to see 
The parents stood in disbelief 
And those who knew braced for the ride 
The earth itself then came alive to say



I, I can do anything 

If you want me here 

And I can fix anything 

If you let me near 
Where are those secrets now 
That you're too scared to tell
I whisper them all aloud 
So you can hear yourself 



I'm sorry I have to say it but you look like you're sad 

Your smile is gone; I've noticed it bad 

The cure is if you let in just a little more love

I promise you this, a little's enough
[x6]



(Just a little...)

No comments:

Post a Comment